Running isn’t easy. After a certain point in a run, you move beyond the physical pain, and enter a zone where only your mind helps you complete the run. People choose different means to keep their minds engaged. Some choose talking to their run buddy, and some chose music to keep their mind engaged. Music is also a great tool to complete your daily run if you prefer running alone. Music can also motivate you to go a little longer than you otherwise might. If you decided to start running or you are already an experienced runner, you should know that a good running playlist playing on your headphones can make all the difference. For me personally, music helped me continue running in my initial stages.
There’s no rocket science in selecting the songs for a run, but obviously you wouldn’t want to listen to a song you despise while running the toughest last mile. Hence, a little care should be taken while turning on your playlist. Select music with the intention of building tangible energy throughout the run. Listening to music can boost your running performance by 15 percent, but how to choose the right playlist for your runs? The best running music is between 120 and 140 BPM (beats per minute) and you can find millions of songs to keep you right near that rate. But note that this depends on your own tempo and your own stride length. If you actually count your steps in one minute you can find out your own BPM. Once you know your BPM, you can find the right tunes and create the ultimate playlist that can help you maintain a steady rhythm for your runs.
We have done a little homework for you and selected a perfect playlist for running. This includes tracks starting from 120 BPM and ending at 140 BPM. This is a genre specific playlist. This playlist caters to the EDM loving Manipal people. Manipal is a crazy place, where people love EDM. Hence we thought why not start off with EDM.
1. Rise Up – Yves Larock
2. Keep On – Zonderling feat Bishøp
3. Faded – Alan Walker
4. Don’t Let Me Down – The Chainsmokers
5. Be Right There – Diplo & Sleepy Tom
6. Light It Up – Major Lazer
7. Pompeii – Bastille
8. On My Way – AXWELL /\ INGROSSO
9. Five More Hours – Deorro x Chris Brown
10. Reload – Sebastian Ingrosso, Tommy Trash, John Martin
11. Jungle Bae – Skrillex And Diplo
12. Mammoth – Dimitri Vegas, MOGUAI & Like Mike
13. Above & Beyond ‘Sun & Moon’
P.S.: Though we have compiled this playlist, our group at Manipal Runner’s Club always enjoys running in group. Hence we would like to give out some tips/warnings for runners listening to music:
- Take care of your electronics. Keep it safe.
- Use runner friendly earphones.
- Play music at a soft volume. You don’t want cars honking at you while you remain oblivious to your surroundings.
- Be aware of your surroundings while playing music and running.
- Most importantly, enjoy the run.
P.P.S.: This is the first playlist in a series of articles planned. Put a Comment in the comments section if you like this playlist, so that we can work a playlist for other genres also.